Join our community of friends of typography!

Hoping to identify "Bad Data" book cover fonts for a data visualization challenge

Go to solution Solved by Kevin Thompson,

sgryzko

As a fun learning experience, I'm completing a Storytelling With Data data visualization challenge called "re-brand it!" where I have to style a graph to match a brand of my choice.

I'm reading the book "Bad Data" by Peter Schryvers (published in 2020), and I'm hoping to recreate the visual elements of the front cover of the book. I am having trouble identifying the following 2-3 fonts that are used on the front cover. Can you please help?

1. BAD DATA
  2. Why We MEASURE...
  3. PETER SCHRYVERS (Is this the same font as BAD DATA? I'm not sure)

539721950_image1.thumb.png.d41e7cad925fecbb8be6d44239aa907a.png

By the way, to ensure that it's not mistaken as actually being affiliated with the book or the author, my graph will contain the following disclaimer:

DISCLAIMER: fake data for illustrative branding exercise for the #SWDchallenge

sgryzko

As a starting point, I'm trying to recreate the book cover in Figma. Here's what I have so far. As you can see, I haven't quite matched the fonts yet. I'm using Inter Semi-bold for BAD DATA but I know it's not quite right. And I'm using IBM Plex Sans Thai for "Why We MEASURE..." because it's the best I found in 2 minutes of going through fonts one by one in Figma. It's way off. I haven't taken a shot yet at the font for PETER.

Group 3 (1).png

Gecko

sgryzko - "Why We MEASURE..." probably the closest face I can see would be Futura Regular or Light, it is close but not exact for example: Futura doesn't have a double story 'a' the 'G' has a shorter horizontal bar and the 'A' has a lower waist. As I said its close but not 100%.

sgryzko

Thank you both so much! I'll grab a non-commercial license for Florencesans Black and I might stick with Futura as a free Am Sans lookalike. 

sgryzko

Thanks again for the help. Here's what I ended up doing. I'm quite pleased with it. It wouldn't have been quite the same if it weren't for your help getting the exact fonts, Gecko and Kevin!

SWDChallenge 2022-04.png

• very interesting! 1