The type specimens of the world in one database …

Art nouveau typography on a sign

pacensero

Hi, I'd like to describe one sign from a building that was constructed in 1925; I'd like to find a way to make a technic description. I wanted to know if you could provide me with any detail , corrections, or insights about it, because it's the first time I have to deal with a type like this. Here is the text I have written:

"From an artistic standpoint, it held great value, with uppercase letters standing out from the canvas due to their certain relief. The curled terminations of the letters, as well as the flamboyant central arm of the E, confirmed its proximity to the decorative styles of the early 20th century. These types of fonts, with a thick body and subtle finishing touches, began their journey during the first half of the 19th century and were specially designed for headline creation. Some letters underwent modifications in their essential features, seeking a mannerism characteristic of Art Nouveau. The sign painter resorted to formal games that are appreciated both in the composition and in the design of the fonts themselves. Without any interest in maintaining sobriety, it's the ornamental playfulness and surprise that matter."

Here you have the sign and the drawing of it.

garage pla.jpg

Ralf Herrmann

Is this text auto-translated from a different language? It sounds like it and if so, it makes it hard to judge the details of the text.