Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Adobe Jenson equivalents / substitutes

SapereAude

As a self-published author who also occasionally formats book interiors for other writers, I try to have available as many of the most widely-used body text fonts as possible. However, as a retired senior citizen, I do not have the funds to purchase fonts from commercial typehouses such as Adobe. Two fonts that are often recommended for book bodies are Sabon and Jenson. I have found a near-clone for Sabon in the Megafont NOW collection from SoftMaker, but that collection doesn't appear to have anything that is a version of Jenson. The versions of Jenson I have found on the free font sites are only licensed for personal use. Is there a free or open source clone of Jenson that I can use to format books (printed books, not e-books) for sale?

Thank you.

Kevin Thompson

Google web fonts may be a good resource for you.

Rosarivo is probably the closest you’ll get to Jenson (similar angled crossbar with slight overshoot on the lowercase e, small bowl on the double-story a). EB Garamond is a good substitute for Sabon.

Another good resource for open source type is Font Library.

• Like 1