The type specimens of the world in one database …

Typography videos

Chris Dean
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

When teaching typography, I sometimes like to start presentations off with an interesting video.

For example, a friend of mine just showed me the DVNO video.

I am suggesting we all pitch in and help each other build a library of typography videos to excite young design students. Imagine a room full of 18-24 year old 1st-2nd year design students who don’t know a lot about type, and if they do, they probably think it’s dull.

I’ve used

A clip from Hero with the dying calligraphers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIvd3zzu4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61d_DiZ7MH4

Thanks for your time.

[edit — some links are now borken. I will try to fix soon]

Chris Dean

I love that one. It was the first one I ever used in a presentation.

Funny thing was, even though 2 out of 20 had never taken a type class, they had ALL seen it!

At 32 I guess I'm too old to keep up with this whole "cool" game.

c

Chipman223

DVNO was just on someone's blog. I think it was michael rock or someone of the like, I'm kinda talking out of my ass at the moment. Since my co-worker linked me to it on thursday, I've watched it like 7,000 times. I'm debating on buying it from iTunes because it will remind me of great motion type. It's an excellent correction to the cheese-tastic 80s logos.

Chipman223

Not sure how many people actually get this channel, but AMC (American movie classics) has great ads for it's movies done completely in type, usually using famous movie quotes (in H&FJ's Ziggurat).

Not the best example, as they've gotten better since:

Don McCahill

I hope that this course is not going to just be watching videos. The best way to teach typography is to have students render type. Only by drawing the characters will they see the subtle differences and begin to understand them.

(Your course will be less fun, but better learning.)

Chris Dean

These are simply little video clips to kick off a class for 18-24 year old 1st-2nd year design students. Nothing serious, just a little fun.

mila

saul bass! you need saul bass! students love it, he's a classic.

did you check the helvetica movie by hary huswit?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
sendoushi

Well, i'm newbie but...

Oh and nice videos you've been posting!
I'll try to find the videos i lost through the time...

From what i remember... sweeney todd intro was really nice... so... if you find it...

Joel Santos // youremin
sound & visual