Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Objects indicative of American culture.

dezcom

Where I live in Northern Virginia, very few people look American born so it is hard to say. Nobody here who works at McDonalds or drives a cab speaks English. There is as much El Salvadoran and Vietnamese stuff around here as American and we don't even have a Walmart--thank god!

ChrisL

Typedog

1. White supremacy counter culture (F-U)
2. Gangs of every shade
3. Huge appetite for drugs
4. Senseless murder
5. Being able to sue for everything
6. Bad freeway system (LA)
7. Crooked politicians
8. Hip-Hop
9. fake plastic women and men
10. The rich rule America
11. Hate
12. That about it!

Guerrizmo+Design
No man is an island unto himself_John Donne

Nachos

Deodorant.

I guess it isn't a very revolutionary item though. It does not seem to be catching on with many foreign citizens I've encountered.

jlt

for some reason, d-i-l-d-o is filtered out here, since apparently we are all children (and since apparently children can be easily injured by words).

dezcom

"Stinky slotless-underwear-wearing foreigners."

LOL!!! Priceless :-)

Now if we could only come up with slotless parking meters :-)

ChrisL

Typedog

Well, I live in California and we have tons of white trash skinheads gangs,
brown trash Mexican gangs, and Black trash gangs as well. My mother is
a foreigner who became a citizen. Nachos, I would think twice before you
make generalization.

¡Arriba! Norteamérica, México, y Colombia!

Guerrizmo+Design
No man is an island unto himself_John Donne

dezcom

I grew up in the inner city of Pittsburgh in the late 40s and beyond. The city was always full of immigrants, including my family. I guess what has always struck me as American is the mishmash of everything. There are not thousands of years of heritage like Europe so there is this eclectic chaos with no order to it. Today, immigrants are from different places than when I was young. Instead of Poland and Italy, they come from East Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia and Latin America. I wouldn't call it a melting pot but a mixing bowl. This can cause both friction and embracing each-other's culture. It is what you make of it. If you want to think only evil and accept the media's exaggeration, go ahead. The truth is, we are no better or no worse than anywhere else.

ChrisL

bowerbird

dezcom said:
> The truth is, we are no better or no worse than anywhere else.

we might not be any worse. (although i'm not sure of that;
i can certainly see the argument that we epitomize evil...)

the problem is that we sincerely believe we are far superior.

and we are smug and arrogant about that superiority, too...

-bowerbird

dezcom

"we are smug and arrogant about that superiority, too..."

only some of us are but they are perhaps quite vocal about it.

ChrisL

guifa

Speaking as an American who has lived in Europe for two years, all I can say is that anyone who thinks America has a white supremicist problem needs to go to Europe (where there are also slavik supremicist problems in Russia). In any case, I can't think really think of any objects that fit the whole of America. Well, maybe freedom of speech something that places like Spain are dearly lacking, but for me and the South

1. Green (so many trees)
2. Food (fried chicken, shrimp and grits, pecan pie, Georgia peaches, Florida oranges, grapefruit in the morning, Alabama peanuts, etc)
3. Friendly people
4. Spacious houses
5. Football
6. Tailgating

«El futuro es una línea tan fina que apenas nos damos cuenta de pintarla nosotros mismos». (La Luz Oscura, por Javier Guerrero)

dezcom

Guifa touches on an important point. The kind of freedom of speech we have in America is such that many things are said outloud or in print that are downright repulsive to most of us but protected by our constitution. I for one would like to see Rush Limbaugh get his mouth permanently taped shut (and he mine perhaps) but I know we have to alow everyone an open mike. This means that people in Europe and the rest of the world hear the worst of our reprehensible blithering the loudest and might assume this is what all Americans think. And yes, we are a friendly people in spite of it all.

ChrisL

bowerbird

dezcom said:
> only some of us are but they are perhaps quite vocal about it.

perhaps.

but outside of dictatorships, very few countries practice the kind of
"we're the greatest country in the world" propaganda america does...

(that "well, we _are_!" that some are thinking right now, is part of it.)

on the flip side, almost all the people i've known from other countries
do indeed confirm americans overall tend to be very friendly people.
in fact, "friendly" is far and away the most common observation of all

apologies to the original poster, though, who was looking for "objects".

-bowerbird

Maxim Zhukov
  • Ice-cold drinks. Everything ‘on the rocks’. Even vodka;
  • Automatic transmission;
  • Disdain for diacritics—to the point when using them looks pretentious (e.g., résumé).
Si_Daniels

Yes, Jesse isn't the only Seattle resident with such views of us foreigners - however I have to say most of them moved here from somewhere else. Fortunately foreigners make up a sizable majority, have all the good jobs, nicest houses, have stolen the local women, and drink the good beer. This makes dealing with folks who don't like us more than bearable. ;-)

dezcom

"Disdain for diacritics—to the point when using them looks pretentious (e.g., résumé)."

Hi Maxim!

You forgot about all of those heavy metal rock bands that stick umlauts over everything just for show :-)

Regards to you, my friend. I hope all is well with you and your wife,

ChrisL

cuttlefish

Oh, and baseball caps too!
(they're a T-shirt for your head)

edit: that did get a mention in the first post but it bears repeating