Join our community of friends of typography!

Matthew Carter Font Designer

Tom

I'm trying to solve a mystery regarding the origin of the bitmap font that later became Tahoma. Does anyone know how to reach Matthew Carter, the man who designed Tahoma, Bell Centennial, Verdana and many other fonts? If so, please forward him my email address or send me his contact information. Thank you. Sincerely, Tom Quinn

Riccardo Sartori
4 hours ago, Tom said:

the bitmap font that later became Tahoma

If you refer to the source cited on the Wikipedia page on Tahoma, it seems clear there was no such thing. 

Rather, tasked to come up with something optimised for screen-reading, either for UI (Tahoma) or the web (Verdana), Carter decided to start with bitmaps instead of outlines for the design.

But the only fonts ever intended were indeed vector ones (albeit hinted for specific sizes, as usual).

• Like 1