Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Is there a proper way to typeset a URL?

Cristobal Henestrosa

Many designers think underlines are bad in print, but I happen to think nothing signals a hyperlink better.

But what happens if the URL includes an underscore?

JamesM

I don't think URLs should be hyphenated, as the reader might think the hyphen is part of the URL.

It's often possible to keep a URL on line line if you tinker with the paragraph's line breaks or tighten the tracking a tad. But if breaking it is the only option, I break without a hyphen.

Incidentally, in InDesign I always apply the "no break" attribute to URLs. There are several ways to apply this attribute, but the method I use is to create a character style called "URL", set the style's attributes to include "no break", and then I apply that style to every URL.

johndberry

The point is to make the URLs immediately recognizable as URLs, as well as to make them easily readable (since there is no live link; we're talking about print only, here), without ruining the typographic design and turning the whole page into a mess. That's one reason for shortening by eliminating the unnecessary "http://"; it's also an argument against tightening the tracking (always a bad idea anyway). And it might be an argument for avoiding justified setting in any text that's going to include URLs.

I like italic precisely because it sets off the URL in much the same way it would set off a title; functionally, they are very much alike, within a run of text. (If you've got a lot of URLs in long text, you might want to use a typeface like FF Quadraat that has a particularly narrow yet readable italic.)

A bunch of "http://"'s on a page are just visual noise, which gets in the way of both scanning and reading. Keep it simple, without losing meaning.

John

dtw

re: breaking across line ends - the instructions I've given our typesetters, for URLs in references, are:

1. Don't introduce hyphens;
  2. Try not to break at a hyphen that is actually part of the address, lest it look like you've introduced it;
  3. Break after a slash, underscore, question mark, or escaped character code (such as "%20"), or before a period (carrying the period over to the next line is sufficiently different-looking from normal sentence punctuation to make it perfectly clear the period is not signalling the end of the sentence/reference)
  4. If necessary, where a URL consists of words mashed together (thisisanexample.com) then break between those words.
eliason

Does anybody put links in brackets, such as < and >? One issue I've faced is how to put a period at the end of a sentence that ends with a web address, without implying that the period is part of the address. Brackets solve that problem.

forrest

In body text, the extra spacing is good - even letterspacing and/or a monospaced font or different font.

The logic of italics is good but the flavor does not seem right to me - too informal.

Absolutely no underlining - that not only looks bad but obscures any underscores in the URL. Absolutely no introduced hyphens.

Brackets is a nice idea and I've seen it done well.

Frode Bo Helland

Riccardo: If you add a thin white stroke, descenders are no problem. An underline could easily lie below any underscores, and possible be coloured.

joeclark

You can’t put a space in a the domain name you are discussing. %20 is an encoded space and is an error. Remove it and don’t look back.

Those same domain names are case-insensitive; hostnames like blog. or m. or even www. are not necessarily case insensitive but almost always are. You do not have to act as though [single word].[top-level-domain] is ever case-sensitive despite what you are being told here.

You may nonetheless wish to use the capitalization in your example to improve readability.

In print you have no reason to include the protocol identifier http://, but if the text you are using will at any time be exported to an E-book, you trigger the problem of producing an URL that isn’t usable online because you took the protocol identifier out. You can fix this manually, as I have done, but it’s an extra step.

Eliason, less-than and greater-than are not “brackets”; there is no reason to delimit an URL in plain text unless some statistically improbable character immediately follows it, like maybe a plain hyphen-minus.

Monospaced font (not Courier) can be nice for URLs in print.

You could just do what I have done and call it a day, since my way is correct. I can send you examples.

quadibloc

It's true that Letter Gothic is a nice typeface for an URL in print, but then emphasizing an URL by the use of an ordinary sans-serif typeface is also a possibility. Of course, in that case (unless you have Bell Gothic available!) there could be ambiguities in distinguishing some characters.

• 3 years later...
Frode Bo Helland

Reviving this old thread with a question: Is it OK to use a service like Tiny URL to shorten a url in a bibliography? My instinct says they service might not stay up for all eternity (although that is also true for the website).

Riccardo Sartori

Frode, I think it’s a sensible solution in several cases, and one I have already adopted in many occasions.
The problem with the ephemeral (or, better, ever-changing) nature of all things internet remains, of course, and it could be wise to add a “retrieved on [date]” specification.
One thing I did (for a journal on welfare and social sciences) was to register a specific domain name for the purpose, in order to give the link a somewhat more “official” and also more friendly and less nerdy appearance (for the moment it’s backed by bit.ly, which offer a series of nice options, but there are php libraries to set up your own).
Otherwise, for longevity and familiarity I would probably use goo.gl
On a last note, I try whenever possible or applicable to substitute “http://” with “www.”, in order to both reduce clutter, and let Adobe Reader recognise them as links.

JamesM

Copywriters I've worked with don't permit URL-shortening services in citations. Their links may not work indefinitely, plus the actual URL shows the source immediately. And I agree with Riccardo that a retrieval date is a good idea.

> although that is also true for the website

Yes but the original page could probably be found through the Internet Archive (https://archive.org) even if the site is no longer online, as long as you have the original URL.

JamesM

> name of the article, the domain name

The problem with that method is that it's sometimes hard to find an old article via search, or a search may bring up a long list of articles.

Why don't you want to use full URLs? I can understand not wanting to use one in the middle of a paragraph, but they are appropriate in a bibliography. You're going to annoy readers who want to check your references.

Riccardo Sartori

For one, in my experience, there are URLs, especially in bibliographies, which have no way to be displayed in a decent way (mostly because they’re too long for any given line length), and, second, related to that, bibliographies are meant to be perused by humans: would you rater type in your browser something like “This Is The Title example.com” or something like “https://ww2.docs.example.com/archive/2012/59/dir/B/˜JDoe/publications.php?&ID=356&Date=20120317&Display=PDF&Title=This%20Is%20The%20Title”?
Keeping in mind that many people don’t really knew the difference between the location bar and the search bar, even before they were merged in todays browser, let alone that anything other than the domain name is case sensitive.

Frode Bo Helland

Yes, the URL in question is long and full of characters not easily acessible from a computer keyboard. Also, APA and McGill suggest just listing article title and domain name (and retrieval date).

JamesM

I don't like long URLs either, and agree they can be difficult to retype. I'm just saying that copywriters I've worked with say you need to give the full URL.

Style guides sometimes disagree, but if the APA or McGill guide is appropriate for your paper, then follow their advice.

> .php?&ID=356&Date=20120317&Display=

Characters that come after ".php" or ".html" can often be deleted from the URL and it'll still work. You should always test first, of course.

For example, the CNN article:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
can be shortened to:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/health/ebola-outbreak/index.html

JamesM

Another option if you're concerned about someone typing long URLs is to also include a QR Code.

I've never been a fan of how they look, but anyone with a smart phone with a QR app can snap a picture of it and be taken directly to the proper web page. And there are free QR generators on the web.

But one concern is that maybe 10 years from now they'll be replaced by something else, so in a bibliography I'd still include the original URL.

JamesM

It can be a lot smaller, but I agree Ricccardo, I don't like the appearance.

But they work, and can be an alternative to a URL that people would have trouble typing.

I'm seeing them more and more on signage, in advertising, even on business cards (usually on the back).

white055

Just joined the community and really enjoying it, I call a nice co-incidence. This is yet another piece of information I was searching around the web and in other communities.