Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Best Book Sans?

Ryan Maelhorn

That Gill Sans looks great. Probably a bit bigger point size than the standard book text however. I agree with donsata, i really dont have any problem reading bold or black in running texts. In fact I think the whole thing is kind of an old wives tale. I was reading in "Just My Type" how people studying legibility based on what people could actually read (gasp, you mean not just a theory?!) found out it really had nothing to do with what was "more legible" based on the standard thinking: x height, large counters, etc...; but rather on what people were used to reading. That is, what fonts were closest to the ones they see everywhere everyday. I think that's pretty valid. Think about the blackletter fonts used by the Germans for so long. It takes me a great deal of effort to decode those forms sometimes, but the Germans, who saw them everyday, had no such troubles.

Bert Vanderveen

Body text is best in a somewhat dark face. It is easier to flip a switch for some light than to darken the room you are in. Mind you: Dutch trains do not have window shades.

quadibloc

I've read computer manuals that were "typeset" on an IBM Executive typewriter... using the Mid-Century typestyle, which was patterned after Futura. So, yes, a book set in Futura is survivable.

While it would look eccentric today, and dated to the 1920s, Kabel might be even better.

hrant

> what people were used to reading.

Personally I consider that the single most offensive theory in
type design. Not just because it's an irrational simplification
of the truth, but because it turns the craft into a mere art.

hhp

hrant

I view Art as the self-centered act of expression; expression
for its own sake. In contrast, Design is about serving others;
in Design expression happens in spite of one's self. But as you
might note I'm capitalizing those, because they are intangible
pure concepts; in reality every actual act of creativity is some-
where in between.

hhp

charles_e

How about commerce, Hrant? If I wrote a book to be sold in the U.S., and the designer decided to set it in a sans, I'd fire his ass so quick he/she would need a fast plane to catch up. I'd like some royalties, please.

When will designers learn the term "designer" is not a synonym for "self-indulgent"? Sorry, that should be "good designer."

hrant

When they realize that not being able to make
enough money selling paintings doesn't mean
they know how to help others. You can't get
here from there.

hhp

Ryan Maelhorn

I'm sorry hrant but this is a bit much. Do you define Michelangelo's David as a self centered act of self expression? Or the Sistine Chapel?

charles_e

Perhaps you've bought into American capitalism so much you pity Fra Lippo Lippi?

In any case, I visited your web site. It did not remind me of Michelangelo...

hrant

I know it's a bit much. Because it flies in the face of the very
high valuation of Art that we're brought up to feel. I can just
as easily imagine a society where the painting of tableaus is
a punishable offense (not that I'd like to live in such a society).
Basically, I think Art has too much value today; and this might
be why we're surrounded by vapid celebrities.

In any case, like I opined, any act of creativity has both Art
and Design in it; both the creator and his environment. So
if Michelangelo was paid (and he was) to create his art then
he was serving a client - he was directing his expression to
make others happy. Design. At least to a decent extent.

One quandary I have to admit to here is that, if a given piece
of art inspires me to make my own life better, does that make
it an instance of self-expression that helps others? If so, does
it matter whether that was the intent of the artist or it was
simply coincidental? I don't know.

hhp

Ryan Maelhorn

I wasn't really brought up to put a very high value on art, and with the decline of arts programs in the USA I don't think many other people in America will either. I don't remember the "artists" being upheld in awe in high school. In fact they were usually made fun of, sadly.

Anyway this conversation has somehow derailed. The point was to find the best new book sans, not the one I personally like the best even though it doesn't work but I'm gonna use it anyway because I'm self centered. I mean I wouldn't really need other's opinions or advice for that.

Ryan Maelhorn

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art?"
-Kipling

Nick Shinn

“…what people were used to reading” …turns the craft into a mere art.

I look at it another way.
Chick Corea expressed it on the liner notes of his Piano Improvisations Vol. 1 album in 1971: “This music was created out of the desire to communicate and share the dream of a better life with people everywhere.”
One side of the album is quite lyrical and charming, dreamy in a conventional way. But the other side has a fair bit of experimental plinking and plunking.

On the one hand, you could say the album was an artist expressing his own interests, but as the man said, he was sharing a dream, and it’s certainly inspired me.

Type design isn’t music, but I don’t see why, in lieu of being merely functional, it can’t also have the quality of being able to bring delight through its formal beauty, and stimulate the intellect through the idiomatic play of design—and to do so subtly, with taste.

charles_e

I should have known.

Anyone who, on an internet forum, asks, on a general topic

"What's the best..."

is either a troll, or has so much to learn that an internet forum can't provide an intelligent answer.

Nick Shinn

The clichéd question provides an opportunity for the usual suspects get onto their favorite hobby-horses.
But as Ryan says, he’s looking for current opinions.
I don’t think I've changed my opinion on this, at best refined it.

The more helpful posters (Ricardo, Florian) will provide a link to relevant previous Typophile threads.

This kind of question (what’s the best?) is not as productive as “What’s the best new…?” which focuses on the here and now, hopefully sparing us all from any further mention of those dreary old standbys Helvetica and Gill Sans, not to mention Univers Bold.

hrant

On the other hand currency can be over-stated.
Reading depends heavily on human attributes
that practically don't change at all with time.

hhp

rs_donsata

I once read a great book on legibility which got burnt in a fire last november... but what I can remember is that reading, as a perception process, is led by the mind's never ending search for sense in the stimulations it gets. So in theory we could easily read any kind of text (in a broad not latin type centric sense) that has enough differentiation features to hold meaning... but then we also have to take into account eye comfort, familiarity and practicity which is why as time passes we become more and morep picky about what's readable. The more we refine visual comfort, visual and sintactic familiarity and practice, the more we will find different visual styles of text unsuited for speedy, effective and comfortable read.

Ryan Maelhorn

I'm trying to think about how to explain my point to you, hrant.

Because I agree in part with you, but disagree at the same time.

What is more important about letters than familiarity? If one cant recognize which letter a glyph is in a fraction of a second, it is useless. We can make any old scribble, and say, look, there is my uppercase G,

but if no one can comprehend it immediately, it is useless.

As to beauty, I feel no need for it to inspire. True beauty is beauty enough.

hrant

Familiarity is s complex thing. You can recognize
a letterform even if you've never seen it before.
And you can often recognize distorted or abstract
letterforms, although it might -tellingly- take more
than a fraction of a second. The main question in
my mind concerns immersive reading: how does
exposure to a specific style of letter affect its high-
speed decipherment? Although I don't know the
answer to that, I can confidently believe that the
inherent qualities of letterforms are not irrelevant,
that they contribute to how smoothly/quickly this
familiarity can be gained; I'm also confident that a
typestyle can have inherent flaws that place upper
limits on how comfortably it can be read no matter
how much you're exposed to it.

hhp

Ryan Maelhorn

Yes, but then you say you cant stand the idea that legibility = familiarity...? Understand, I'm not questioning you, just trying to understand you.