The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Help with different orthographies

daverowland
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Currently working on a script font, and I've got two questions:
1. is ccedilla ever written with the cedilla as a continuation of the stroke? I'm thinking when the c doesn't connect to the next letter, as in ç’est bon

2. is lslash used in any languages other than Polish? and if it is, should the script form of lslash be default or language specific?
Michel Boyer

Here is a grab from Apolline by Jean-François Porchez

This should answer the "is it ever". I personally prefer when it is a continuation.
daverowland

And I don't even like script fonts!

I've got bills to pay! I've got a similar treatment on the ogoneks but they are always endforms (never connect to next glyph)

Thanks Janek, but I'm not sure what you mean by connect wave to l. You mean the slash should touch the l? I'm thinking I'll have a regular lslash and save the script one for a stylistic set. So it'll probably never be used.

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but ‘ce’, shortened to ‘c’’ before a vowel, is written with a plain ‘c’, not with a ‘ç’, i. e. ‘c’est français/bon’.

daverowland

I think I knew that somewhere in the back of my mind. I guess the situations where a non connecting ccedilla would arise are pretty few then. Still, you never know, it might be useful to someone.

John Hudson

Yes, the cedilla can be formed in a cursive fashion based on some kind of reversal from the terminal. However, such a cedilla should carry some of the same sense of speed and of the script style, and your cedilla shape is too slow and formal. A shape more open, like that in the Apolline example, would be appropriate.

John Hudson

Note that for double lslash, as in 'Jagiełło', you can use a single stroke above both letters in a script style type, handled as a ligature.

Nick Shinn

Would an italic ever be considered “scripty” enough to warrant the top slash?
With Swash caps or the quaint Discretionary Ligatures?