Jump to content

Type anatomy: The term 'beard'

Recommended Posts


One of the senses of 'beard' given by Collins is 'the part of a piece of type that connects the face with the shoulder'. Has anyone heard of this?

Share this post

Link to post
Riccardo Sartori

I myself am more familiar with the “A projection on the bottom right stem of the capital G.” definition.

But apparently it is also used in moveable type printing:


(image via this YouTube video)

Moreover, it can also be used to denote the descenders’ line.


Share this post

Link to post

Very interesting. Thanks, both of you.

Share this post

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You can also check out our Privacy Policy