Typography.Guru
smeyer3

Hoefler Text Alternative?

smeyer3

Hi! I'm working on rebranding my company. I used Hoefler Text Black Swash Small Caps on a few titles, and everyone loved it. Unfortunately, Hoefler only seems to sell entire packages, and the whole package is over $1k. I'm only interested in the one weight. 

https://www.typography.com/fonts/hoefler-text/styles/hoeflertext

Anyone able to help me find an alternative? Or know if I can buy just that weight? A Google font would be perfect, but I'm not having any luck. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 12.58.22 PM.png

Les

If you're on a Mac, you are probably using a legitimate licensed version of Hoefler Text Black Italic?

• Like 2

smeyer3
13 hours ago, Les said:

If you're on a Mac, you are probably using a legitimate licensed version of Hoefler Text Black Italic?

I doubt it. I installed it by using files my friend gave to me years ago. It's not legit to use in a commercial setting unless I purchase it. 

smeyer3
6 hours ago, Riccardo Sartori said:

A possible alternative: RTF Amethyst Bold Swash Small Caps.

Thanks for suggestion this! I'll look into this. 

Riccardo Sartori
2 hours ago, smeyer3 said:

I doubt it. I installed it by using files my friend gave to me years ago. It's not legit to use in a commercial setting unless I purchase it.

I checked, and Hoefler Text Black Italic is still bundled with macOS, and unless you plan to use it as a webfont, you should be free to use it in your graphics.

• Like 1

Jonathan Hoefler

Hello,

There’s a version of Hoefler Text that ships free with MacOS and iOS, free. The “director’s cut” that we publish has additional styles, and costs $299 — hopefully one of these is a good option for you!

Kindest Regards,

Jonathan Hoefler

• Like 5

Bjørn Edvard Torbo

Having Jonathan Hoefler answering your Hoefler Text inquiry is a lot like having Robert De Niro answering your method acting questions. Gotta love that. LOL 🤩👍

• Like 2