Jump to content
Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Type Anatomy: Correct Term for Small Serif-Like Hairlines in Incised Lettering

Recommended Posts


Typefaces that have their roots in incised or engraved lettering often have small thin serif like strokes at the end of the terminal.

For example Copperplate by Frederic Goudy (see image) and Sophia by Matthew Carter have such hairline terminals.

What is the correct term in English language for these terminals?



Link to comment

@Ralf Herrmann, @Riccardo Sartori, thank you both for chiming in. I have heard the terms tiny or minute serif, and I have also seen it expressed in German language as “Endstrich”, which literally means end stroke, it would not have surprised me if there was some obscure type anatomy term describing this feature.


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Graublau Sans Pro: A versatile font family with 18 styles
  • Create New...

Important Information

We are placing functional cookies on your device to help make this website better.