Check out our exclusive articles, videos and font downloads on Patreon!

Joanna - Where is it used?

vwhiffen
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Could anyone tell me where Gill's typeface 'Joanna' has been seen before? Publications, advertisements, identities...anything would be helpful! Thanks!

adnix

I think Obama uses Perpetua, not Joanna.

Travel + Leisure magazine used Joanna as their text face a few years ago (2005 or 2006)

David

bethmallory

In my job I run into it as the official typeface of the Department of Homeland Security. It's on all of their branded materials.

bethmallory

"Heckuva job, Gillie. Heckuva job."

I love Joanna (so fresh and classic at once, so refined, such beautiful details)...it's almost too nice for DHS.

Cheers from inside the beltway =)

charles_e

Joanna has been used a number of times with University Press books -- I designed a book for the University of Illinois Press, set using Linotron 202 Joanna. I forget the title, but can look it up if you really need it.

In spite of that, Gill's best text font available in major foundry form (i.e., Linotype, Monotype) was probably Pilgrim. I remember a lecture by Ron Costley where he remarked that none of Gill's fonts was a very good for setting book-length text. Afterwards, I asked him about Pilgrim, & as I remember, he did allow it could be quite good for text, just damaged by the poor character fit in the Linotron 202 offering. With PostScript, that could be easily fixed.

FWIW

kentlew

Martha Stewart Living used it for a number of years, up until about 2002 when it was replaced by Archer. They did not use the Joanna italic, however, substituting Perpetua Italic (Felicity) instead.

-- K.

dezcom

"Think of your favorite Eric Gill - Homeland Security ironic comment."

It is "Bring Your Daughter to Work Week" in the office of Homeland Security.

ChrisL

jason

I've used it for a redesign of an academic journal called Victorian Review. Both the client and their readers have been pleased with the font, which both enacts the restrained pomp of the Victorian period and yet allows for a comfortable read.

poms

Thanks Jason for showing – i really like what you did, especially how you elaborated the regular | italic contrast! Suspenseful.

Ehague

They set the commencement program at Emerson College in Joanna the year I graduated. It was a neat coincidence, since I have a sort of esoteric connection to it by name (it was designed by Eric Gill and René Hague).

akma

I believe Fortress Press set several books in Joanna in the late 80's, early 90's. A Festschrift for Hans Frei stands out in my recollection; the italics in the footnotes were awfully tight.