Check out our typography channel on Instagram

dear bibliophiles – Aldine octavo exhibit

popluhv
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Just now, I was walking to the basement restrooms of a local library, when a certain dolphin and anchor caught my eye. On display, opposite some vending machines is an Aldine octavo. It is open to the printer's device, so I don't know what the work is. However, judging from the call no. penciled in on the inside, it appears to be from 1534. It is in a regular glass display case (not sealed) with a cheapo display case lock. Doesn't this deserve better treatment? An Aldus Manutius printing is more than just an old book (at least to a typophile). Should I mention this to the library staff?

Dunwich Type

I would bring it up. It could very well be that the librarians have no idea that the book is special, and if you spotted it, it could just as easily be spotted by a book thief.

kegler

If it is in a case open to the printers device, they obviously know what it is. I was similarly astounded to see the exhibit put out for Typecon at the Buffalo Central library with minimal security: A Shakespeare first folio, A Kelmscott Chaucer and a few other gems.

popluhv

They know what it is,probably; a first edition of Ginsberg's Howl is sitting nearby. I have to wonder if they simply don't have the proper storage. I am of the opinion that some things are better of being given to an institution that can properly store them. I'm sure this library will disagree, but it should probably be brought up.