Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Optima and friends

LoremIpsumLoremIpsum
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Any recommendations for fonts that work with Optima? Its kind of a tough one because Optima is half serif and half san serif.

typerror

Optima works well with Palatino, also by Zapf. The amazing thing about this whole group (Optima, Palatino, Michaelangelo, Sistina, Kompakt, Gilgenhart, Phidias Greek, and ultimately Aldus) is that they ALL work together.

I do not have any problems with Optima, other than overuse, like others. It functions very well, and now that they have expanded the face to include condensed versions and additional "approved" weights it will endure... even if it displeases other type designers.

Yeah, it's easy to trash, by some, (a lot of times I think that is nothing more than gang mentality) but it has endured for 50 years : )

Michael

Nick Shinn

I wish Optima wasn’t such an a** and more fonts liked him.

Well, if she wasn't so butch...

For contrast, would a wiener font work?

paulstonier

Michael, I believe you forgot to mention Melior…

Avenir and Scala actually work pretty well, too.

Rochester Institute of Technology occasionally pairs Optima with Univers.

typerror

Melior does not belong in the same group. It is not, like the others, based on pen/brush forms. Rather it is based on the super ellipse. It does not have similar interior shapes.

Zapf designed the aforementioned to work in tandem.

Michael

fguimaraes

Does anyone else like it as a text face? I actually really like reading extended copy set in Optima.

(No, really. Why... are you laughing? Stop it!)

Yehan

Optima? for text? Okay..maybe the metal version, which probably isn't as anemic as it's digital sibling... but really??? I'm curious to see a sample.

fguimaraes

No moolah either; as I said, I like it as a reader :) Oddly enough, I can't find a single book set in it right now (I'd upload a scan otherwise), but you can have a look at page 273 of Philip Meggs's Typographic Specimens on Google Books.

typerror

William

There is a small booklet that is, I think, available from Linotype. Or used to be. I started looking through the mess and cannot locate it. I am sure it is listed on line somewhere. I never employed the Dewey Decimal System in my library : )

@ Marcel I think with the extensive overuse of Optima there are more bad examples of it out there than there are good. You have probably seen mostly the bad. People tend to set it it too tight and do not lead it properly and use the cloned versions, all functions of the DTP revolution. And once again see the faces above for "sympathetic partners." They DO work well with Optima!

Michael

typerror

Marcel

I lectured last evening at VCU to a gathering of illustrators. I told them that I too was an illustrtor... I just use "stick figures" : )
I.e. the alphabet. I explained that the alphabet, from my perspective, is simply a skeleton, a very pliable one (from a lettering artists perspective)... I concentrate on the exoskeleton to infuse meaning.

Most Sans too me are sterile revisionist forays into technological and reading efficiency. On the other hand there is Optima with personality. An undeniable touch of the hand. I know I am extremely biased. I don't apologize for it. And try to not be too antagonistic anymore.

And certainly Optima is not suited for everything. I love Universe, Poppl Laudatio (which you probably would not like), and some other sans that are very quirky. I mix them all the time with my lettering. Most times I draw my own sans.To me it all comes down to suitability.

But I would never use Helvetica and I won't rent the movie. Period :>)

Michael

typerror

O.k.

Before I get blasted, I used Helvetica ten years ago in a logo. And I am waiting for William so that I can use his Caslon in one : )

Hurry up William!

Michael