The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Please translate this quote into your language

guifa

Ricardo, interesting. I'll need to go and look it up to see the context. I'm only familiar with a handfull of his interviews. From what I've known, Borges is the type of person that would have been much more likely to have said that there is a different language created each time we make an utterance, which is why it doesn't "fit" him to me. (hence for Borges the same text can be a different text depending on the conditions of its reading and/or creation)

«El futuro es una línea tan fina que apenas nos damos cuenta de pintarla nosotros mismos». (La Luz Oscura, por Javier Guerrero)

Frode Bo Helland

Alternative Norwegian version: Et hvert land har stort sett det språket det fortjener.
I think this is better. Thanks Gregers!

Cristobal Henestrosa

@ Mark, who said: I’m not sure how the system chooses which version to use when there is more than one installed

The system first looks in ~/Library/Fonts/, and just after that in Library/Fonts/. So, if the “same” font is in both folders, it will choose the font from the user’s font folder.

Ricardo Cordoba

Ricardo, interesting. I’ll need to go and look it up to see the context. I’m only familiar with a handfull of his interviews.

Hey, guifa, Eben has provided a link to an interesting-looking interview (above):

http://www.wooster.edu/artfuldodge/interviews/borges.htm

For instance, at one point Borges says of Federico García Lorca, "And then, it was a lucky think [sic] for him to be executed. Best thing to happen for a poet." A somewhat poor translation, but that quote is pure evil, and pure Georgie. ;-D

But also check out his comparison of languages:

"I don't think languages are essentially synonymous. In Spanish it is very difficult to make things flow, because words are over-long. But in English, you have light words. For example, if you say slowly, quickly, in English, what you hear is the meaningful part of the word: slow-ly, quick-ly. You hear slow and quick. But in Spanish you say lentamente, rapidamente, and what you hear is the -mente. That is gratis, so to say. A friend of mine translated Shakespeare's sonnets into Spanish. I said that he needed two Spanish sonnets to a single English one, since English words are short and to the point, but Spanish words are over-long. And English also has a physical quality to it. Well, in English, you can say: to explain away. In Kipling's Ballad of East and West, an English officer is pursuing an Afgan horse thief. They're both on horseback. And Kipling writes: 'They have ridden the low moon out of the sky./ Their hooves drum up the dawn.' Now you can't ride the low moon out of the sky in Spanish, and you can't drum up the dawn. It can't be done. Even such simple sentences as he fell down or he picked himself up, you can't do in Spanish. You have to say he got up the best he could or some lame paraphrase. But in English you can do much with verbs and positions. You can write: dream away your life; live up to; something you have to live down. Those things are impossible in Spanish. They cannot be done. Then you have compound words. For example you have wordsmith. It would be in Spanish un herrero de palabras, rather stilted, rather uncouth. But it can be done in German you can make up words all the time, but not in English. You are not allowed the freedom that the Anglo-Saxons had. For example, you have sigefolc, or victorious people. Now in Old English, you don't think of these words as being artificial, but in Spanish it can't be done. But of course, you have what I think is beautiful in Spanish: the sounds are very clear. But in English you have lost your open vowels."

guifa

What grabbed my attention the most in that interview was how he said he enjoyed Faulkner's style and, parenthetically notes that he doesn't like Hemmingway at all. Damn shame I hadn't read that interview in high school when I was reading those three authors in the same year lol.

BTW, the quote in Asturian (bable): En xeneral, cada país tien la llingua que merece. You can make it more dialectal by putting two dots under the ll.

«El futuro es una línea tan fina que apenas nos damos cuenta de pintarla nosotros mismos». (La Luz Oscura, por Javier Guerrero)

Aleme

Hi! Dezcom ,
If you want it in other typeface let me know so that I can post it. This is not in Geez language it is in Amharic language the official language of Ethiopia .
I see we live in same area too.
Aleme

Ricardo Cordoba

Didn’t that rather go something like

“In general, every country has the government it deserves.”

Have you read the entire thread? I quoted that very same phrase earlier.

• 1 month later...
Samuel Stanislas

Here is the Romanian (Europe) translation: In general, fiecare tara are limba pe care o merita. I hope this helps although it's not one of the international languages. If you need anything else, please contact me.

concentrate

In Hindi:

वैसे देखे तो हर एक देश में उसके अनुरूप भाषा है.

And if you aren't able to see the Devnagari script here it is in the Roman alphabet:

Waise dekhe to hur ek desh mein uske anuroop bhaasha hai.