The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Delivering Logos to clients - which formats?

Jollux
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Hi

Regular stalker of these forums, but finally I have a question to post...

I've just designed a logo for a company and I'm putting together a CD with all different versions they may need - is there anything I'm missing from this list;

- CMYK logo: colour and mono (inverted versions in both)
- RGB logo: colour and mono (inverted versions in both)
- jpegs, eps'

Thanks in advance!

phrostbyte64

Ver. 5 editable pdfs are helpful, pms specs (if applicable). All fonts converted to curves/paths/outlines. All outlines/line thicknesses converted to objects. One version without any blends, fountain fills, shades etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...from the Fontry

dtw

Are you planning to include any level of usage guidelines (ie whether or not there's a minimum amount of white space to be left around the logo, whether or not they should be allowed to use it against a busy illustrative background, whether there's a minimum size below which it should not be reproduced, etc.)?

phrostbyte64

Are you planning to include any level of usage guidelines (ie whether or not there’s a minimum amount of white space to be left around the logo,...

T-Mobile's white space measure uses the little squares as a measure for white space. It is so cool. No complex calculations. Writing a standards manual can get complicated real quite. Basic usage guidelines are good, but don't create a standards manual unless you charged for it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...from the Fontry

Jollux

Wow, thanks for all your responses, and quality ones at that! I never thought to include PMS specs, to be honest, I never use them, but I will include. Which 'book' do you refer to? I imagine Pantone process uncoated is standard?

I will convert text to outlines, but how do you convert strokes to objects? I've always wondered how to avoid scaling stroke issues, but didnt know there was a successful solution. And thanks for reminding me to include versions without shading!

As for providing rasterised version, I thought EPS' were vector based? Maybe not. Is it best then to include the vectored logo as a pdf? Good point on providing rasterized logos at different sizes.

As for providing any guidelines, I didn't plan on doing anything too lengthy because the client isn't matching my original quote for the job so I don't intend to bend over backwards for them. I was going to include basic colour, font, information, etc...

Thanks again for your replies! I feel like I've learnt a lot in the space of a few minutes! (junior designer at work here...)

Chris Keegan

I usually do the following file formats in full color, grayscale, and black & white - .tif, .eps, .pdf, .jpg. Then I design a specifications sheet that shows the file names/formats so the user can understand: "logoc.tif" would be color, .tif format. If I'm ambitious I'll design more detailed guidelines that show how to use/not use the logo.

phrostbyte64

PMS uncoated for print media (generally) and PMS coated for signs, banners, vehicle graphics, etc.

In the sign industry, even though 4 color printing is reliable, you might always be faced with a situation which calls for routed letters, or graphics that must be cut on the plotter. Routers and plotters only see vectors.

I thought EPS’ were vector based?

An eps file can have embedded bitmaps. And, since your logo may have to cross platforms, sometimes fountain fills are converted to ugly bitmaps in some software conversions.

Is it best then to include the vectored logo as a pdf?

PDFs cross platforms and software boundries best with the least problems.

...but how do you convert strokes to objects?

That depends on your software. Illustrator has a feature under path, I think, outline stroke.

I also can't stress enough, test all formats and make everything backwards compatible. Not everyone has the software budget they would like to have. Some of us would like to have a software budget.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...from the Fontry

paragraph

The Pantone process uncoated is a 4-colour (CMYK) process conversion. Pantone Coated or Uncoated are spot colours, and are the standard.

dtw

Re: usage guidelines; yes, I did mean something brief. Having been on the receiving end of corporate standards manuals in the past, the bigger and more detailed they are, the less likely they are to be followed. A one- or two-page list of basic dos and don'ts should suffice.

If you do want to specify a minimum amount of space round the logo, it may be worth­while actually including that space in the files you create, so that any awkward so-and-so who wants to break the guidelines will have to resort to a "sin of commission" (intentionally cropping the image) rather than the merely ignorant "sin of omission" (just sticking another logo or some text right next to it).