The type specimens of the world in one database …

Apple "Menlo" font...

cuttlefish

At last, a replacement for the venerable Monaco (though I've been using Andale Mono for that myself anyway).

Translating that blog post revealed that Mac OS X 10.6 abandons the .dfont format for .ttc (TrueType Collection) as the favored format of Apple system fonts, though it does not indicate whether legacy compatibility will remain for that or other font formats.

kentlew

> “Typeface fonts” ?
> Good thing they cleared that up

Actually, that's just standard language for the Goods & Services field in trademark applications.

dyana

Boo, way to ruin my snarky, holier-that-thou typenerdery, Kent! ;)

Seriously, I thought about that after I posted, but it was late and I decided to go to bed rather than delete.

Down10

"Typeface fonts" makes sense; there are fonts for things other than type. Musical notation, for instance.

Regarding Menlo, and its base of Bitstream's Vera Sans Mono, I noticed that Apple has tweaked a few glyphs, presumably to display better under Quartz rendering:

Si_Daniels

Nice comparison, but this shows the difference between two Vera derivatives? How do they compare with the original Vera Mono? Or even the original original Prima Mono?

Spire

Nice comparison, but this shows the difference between two Vera derivatives? How do they compare with the original Vera Mono?

Vera Sans Mono is the original monospaced Vera face; there is no Vera Mono.

Or even the original original Prima Mono?

No Prima Mono either; just Prima Sans Mono.

Down10

DejaVu's glyphs are mostly unchanged from Vera Sans Mono. The goal of the DejaVu font project is to expand and improve on the character sets of the Vera families in an open-source environment.

Panic Sans is based on DejaVu. The changes are fewer than Menlo's—mostly the B, e, hyphen and underscore are the only noticeable differences between Panic Sans and DevaVu/Vera.

All the fonts share the same weight width and line-height.