Check out our typography channel on Instagram

Chatype: A Typeface for Chattanooga, Tennessee

Jeremy Dooley

We strongly considered Cherokee support...but it was outside the scope of the project. Maybe in the future, if it is requested and funded.

• 2 weeks later...
Jeremy Dooley

Just a status update:

The project was front page news here in Chattanooga. TFP and made kickstarter's front page project of the day.

In addition, Robbie and I talked a bit about the development and conceptual work for the project at our forum. We did a screen-cast of that presentation. It's up on the Chatype Kickstarter page.

Andreas Stötzner

(I missed this for a while – sorry)

1st, my respect for waging this. Exploring new ways is always dangerous. Those who venture in the eye of failure have my sympathy.

2nd, I would still come back to the Cherokee aspect. This crazy script is undoubtedly the unique typographic asset of your place. In type, it’s your Eiffel tower. Why not exploiting it? Did you ever explore to ruthlessly cherokeese the Latin alphabet and see what happens?

Maybe the result will be more befitting to funny leasure resorts and tourism brochures than smart municipal presentations … and this is not what you’re wanting.

But it could probably be very charming.

hrant

> cherokeese the Latin alphabet

Since it's very difficult to make Cherokee harmonious
with Latin without offending the Elders*, this might in
fact be a fruitful avenue.

* As we learned at the TypeCon in New Orleans thanks to
the wonderful presentation by Joseph Erb and his team.

hhp

Christopher Dean

Has anyone thought of bring up the concept of “Disneyfication” in this context? In Halifax, Nova Scotia, the largest industry is tourism. As such, the majority of our waterfront has been transformed into a tacky tourist version of itself, where they force minimum wage employees in taverns and the like to dress up in period costumes, walk along the boardwalk, sing old-tyme sailor tunes &c, all veiled in the spirit of cultural preservation.

It’s an interesting discussion though. Imagine an endangered species. You can let it die, or put it in a cage and breed it. However, by caging it, even though you are keeping it alive, you are removing it’s natural ability to adapt and thrive in a changing environment, ultimately working against your own end.

The closest real-world example I can think of is the passing of Bill 101 in Québec city, 1997. It legally required you to have all of your signage with French as the predominant language ie; bigger and at the top. This was very controversial at the time.

But again, it raises the question, what is the best way to preserve, or in the case of Chattanooga and Chatype, promote, a culture in a natural and sustainable fashion?

Will there be city-wide brand strategy? Signage restrictions? An identity-standards manual for all businesses? What if my business is from a different culture? Am I still required to use Chatype?

Food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...
Jeremy Dooley

Chatype was fully funded today, plus $1.5k. We received (and continue to receive) plenty of national media attention focused on typography and city branding. We received coverage on TIME.com, NPR Marketplace, Radio Canada, Wolf Ollins, and Co.Design, among others. Graphic designers nationwide are asking themselves, "What would our city's typeface look like?" Chatype will be implemented in several very visible Chattanooga city projects.

In short, a complete Mission Accomplished.

• 1 month later...
Si_Daniels

The project was mentioned in latest issue of Seattle Metropolitan magazine, where Karen Cheng is quoted as saying Seattle needs it's own font. Hurrah! Unfortunately they also quote a bottle label designer who says he'd rather see safe bridges than a city font. Boooo000. ;-)

Christopher Dean

@Richard: Just out of curiosity, why the new signature? All of the info contained in it is available from your Typophile profile. Is it an SEO thing for all your other locations?