The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Intriguing design anecdotes

JamesM

> Dean, C. (2013, March 11). Re: Intriguing design anecdotes
> [Online forum comment]. Retrieved from [URL]

Since web pages often change or disappear, many editors I work with include the date the URL was last accessed. And if an old document is updated or republished, they check every URL again to confirm the web page is still there.

However this practice may vary depending on the style guide the editor is using.

hrant

BTW there are URL shortcut services that archive the page you link to so if it disappears/changes you don't get stuck (but I think they charge for that). I'm not sure about copyright issues on that, although it would be their problem and not yours.

hhp

JamesM

> amusing factual compilation of tales and facts

You might find more interesting tales from the field of advertising and ad agencies.

For example, at Ken Segall's blog (he used to design ads for Apple) he talks about the time that Steve Jobs wanted his ad agency to audition comedian Phyllis Diller for an Apple ad, and the less-than-satisfactory result:

http://kensegall.com/2012/04/steve-jobs-crazy-idea-for-the-crazy-ones/#m...

Chris Dean

@Jennifer and Rebecca: Not including what you have been told here, what else have you discovered so far? It would be a shame if the title of your paper ended up being “Things people from Typophile.com told us.” (we promise to cite you properly ;)

@JamesM: “Since web pages often change or disappear, many editors I work with include the date the URL was last accessed.”

Can you show me an example? I’m not sure I follow. In the APA example I illustrated, the date the URL was accessed appears directly after my name.

JamesM

> URL shortcut services that archive the page

Interesting, I didn't know that. I thought that shortcut sites simply provided a shorter URL to the original page.

Another option for finding web pages that are gone is the non-profit Internet Archive [http://archive.org/web/web.phps]. It visits sites periodically and archives the pages. You enter a URL and it lists the dates that it has archived versions of that page, and then you can view the archived page.

JamesM

> In the APA example I illustrated, the date the URL
> was accessed appears directly after my name

Sorry Chris, I didn't notice that. I'm used to seeing the access dates next to the URL.

> Can you show me an example? I’m not sure I follow.

I don't have an example of a discussion group cite, but here's one for a book that was accessed online:

Kurland, Philip B., and Ralph Lerner, eds. The Founders’ Constitution. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1987. Accessed February 28, 2010. http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/.

Like I said, this probably varies depending on the style guide used, but I see that style used a lot. I supposed the reason is that if the original page is gone, a date might help you locate the appropriate archived version.

Nick Shinn

John Tenniel lost the sight of one eye as a lad in 1840, fencing with his father.
According to his biographer, Frances Sartzano in Sir John Tenniel (1948).

Many rock and rollers went to art school, but only Freddie Mercury designed an heraldic crest for his band.

Joshua Langman

The correspondence between Baskerville and Benjamin Franklin, including the "Caslon anecdote" (Franklin tricking an acquaintance into pointing out perceived flaws in Caslon, under the misapprehension that it was Baskerville). This one should be pretty easy to track down.

Michael & Winifred Bixler told me a fascinating story about the origin of the typeface Sachsenwald. They are also a fantastic source of stories, specifically related to Monotype and letterpress.

Read the Book Type: The Secret History of Letters. Essentially a compendium of interesting and quirky stories about typography. And of course Just My Type contains a bunch of random type anecdotes, though with a questionable standard of accuracy — check it against another source. Oh, and watch the Linotype film.

I'll be very interested to see your finished project. I really like to use anecdotes in beginning typography workshops to start getting across the idea that typefaces are made by people, and there are stories behind them.

Joshua Langman

Their website lists their number as 315-685-5181. But I wouldn't just call them up and expect them to unexpectedly give you loads of their time, because they're very busy. It might be best to see if they're willing to set aside some time to show you their shop in person, and then you can chat all you want.

Joshua Langman

Ah!

Well, you can (a) call them up anyway, or (b) see if you can find any small letterpress or typefounding shops near you, which might be run by people who have been around a long time and are willing to share their stories.

Chris Dean

I just got off the phone following a very pleasant conversation with Michael (the telephone number on their website is accurate).

They have in fact changed their email address and he gave me permission to post it:

[email protected]

His wife primarily deals with email, and he likes to speak on the phone.

Chris Dean

Well, I wouldn’t call that brilliant research. All I did was make a telephone call. The only reason I did so was to bring to their attention — one professional to another — that their email may not be functioning, and ask for their permission to post it here. A task anyone could have performed. Just remember to be polite. I always begin such conversations with “Hello, my name is… I am calling from… Regarding… Am I catching you at a bad time? Do you have a few minutes to talk?” And end with “Thank you very much for your time _say their name_ you have been very helpful.”

If they are too busy to talk, ask if there is another time that is more convenient for them.

Have questions prepared in advance.

Make an effort to keep your conversation <15 minutes.

Nick Shinn

Hey Neil, I only remember Doug and the Slugs vaguely.
He left Toronto before I arrived in 76.
The Toronto bands I recall from the Crash N Burn days were the Diodes, Drastic Measures, Rough Trade, the Dishes, the Poles, Teenage Head (from Hamilton, but close enough) and of course the Viletones.
Given that there has been so much promiscuity between the design and music scene, the only reason Freddie Mercury is “intriguing” in that respect is because he became so famous—I also thought the Queen crest would make a good visual for the compendium, although it’s not really an anecdote.