Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

An amusing exercise - abbreviations becoming characters

dave bailey

I think the point made earlier about if these were to be viable solutions they would have to ultimately be easy glyphs to produce by hand and not just integrated into new typefaces. The g2g is interesting but not really a viable solution when you could easily write g2g in the same time it takes you to create that glyph.

Lex Kominek

I guess I should have shown the evolution of the g2g glyph. I started with a much simpler hand-drawn version, then figured out what it might look like once it had been turned into type. I'll post it when I get home from work.

- Lex

feigner

There's a slight mistake in this line of thought. symbols @ and & are created for single words. LOL, WTF, ROTFL, are all phrases and therefore are more akin to S.A.S.E. (self addressed stamped envelope) or P.S. (post script) and the likes...

dave bailey

Here is a ligature for “LOL”

Each glyph in the typeface is a 24 bit TIFF with transparencies...no noticable increase in size or performance. ;^)

dezcom

"Each glyph in the typeface is a 24 bit TIFF with transparencies…no noticable increase in size or performance. ;^)"

Right, just an increase in volume :-)

ChrisL

Daminox

Hello guys, I am just discovering this great forum and already want to apologize for my bad english (sorry if I make mistakes).
I am french and have been practicing calligraphy for 5 years but using computers for only 2 years (!). I simply don't know WTF to do to make pictures appear in my message, I almost tried everything & hope you'll get them.

This WTF exercise is particularly interesting and funny.
Here is what I would propose:

- first, an exercise of simplifying the form into one single line, then drawing it faster and faster until it becomes something new...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/Damidoux/Whatzeuf.jpg

The final sign looks like a D if rotated clockwise! Calligraphy on a computer is something strange because feelings are lost, but this first experience is pretty amusing.

- then, a kind of logo work done in happy orange to go with the meaning:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d133/Damidoux/Whatzeuf2.jpg

Please tell me which you like the most (my favourite tend to be number 3)

Hope you'll enjoy & even if my culture in modern typography is poor, I truly appreciate letterworks.

Thanks for reading.

engelhardt

> Do I have to consider myself as a troll? If so, don’t worry this will be my last message.

Heavens, NO! New type-enthusiasts are always welcome here.

Apparently there were several off-topic, nasty posts which have since been deleted by Typophile moderators. Being widely-linked in the blogosphere has benefits (bringing new, genuinely-interested people to the site) and pitfalls (bringing spam-bots and troublemakers).

Daminox

Ok, sorry for misunderstanding...
Letters are the same for us but language isn't! Sometimes it's hard to get everithing in the wright way.

Best regards.

DMX

gmckenzi

And after a half-dozen scrawls, here's where I ended up for WTF:

It's written like a normal 'w' that loops up and then down, finishing by making the crossbar at the bottom. I like it -- I'm not sure why, but I think there's a certain vulgarity to the symbol that matches with the spirit of WTF.

engelhardt

> I like it — I’m not sure why, but I think there’s a certain vulgarity to the symbol

It reminds me of someone (upside-down) flipping the bird. Or a butt. Yep. It kinda looks like a butt. :)

gmckenzi

Okay, last one...I promise. I know that I arrived on this thread way late.

Here's my take on RTFM:

Yes, just an exclamation-point opened like a book.