Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Typography in architecture

OK, Megmog, you want current or recent stuff only, right, not historical? Because if you want that there are old British books you can get via interlibrary loan; see my blog post.

And you want exteriors, not interiors, right? If not, you could look at the Toronto subway, about which I have written a word or two.

Right off the top of my head I can think of buildings in Toronto with let’s call them extruding or protruding metal letters that are clearly intended to be “architectural.” One set of such letters is, of course, in Arial.

If you want a literal building-as-sign as comparison, Google the BMW building by the DVP on Sunlight Park in Toronto.

I could go on. Hit me up directly for more.

Joe Clark
http://joeclark.org/

megmog

OK, Megmog, you want current or recent stuff only, right, not historical?
Yep that's right, I'll look into the historical stuff as background but I really want to concentrate on more recent developments, see if there are any trends emerging etc. I've got the books you talk about in your blog so found it pretty interesting!

And you want exteriors, not interiors, right?
Again, I might look at a couple of interiors as sort of background, but I am definitely concentrating on exterior. Most of the interior uses of typography in buildings that I've found are just wayfinding systems on a larger scale, which is a whole other topic that an undergraduate dissertation doesn't really have the word count for!

In the pics I found for the BMW building in Toronto it used images but not typography, and I really need to look at typography in architecture. Like with the interiors/exteriors I need to focus otherwise it'll be too big a topic if I start looking at general graphics on buildings too.

Thanks for your help Joe.

Tim Ahrens

I highly recommend Peter Hall's 'Living skins: Architecture as interface':
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/thinktank/livingskins/

In his article are some sophisticated thoughts about the role of type in architecture but he does not go into detail about the actual typography. And he is right because his thoughts are independent of the typographic details.

I also thought about writing my dissertation about typography and architecture and found that this is the main problem: Some people treat the architectural role of type while (rightly) ignoring the details. Others, like those who write about lettering, care about the actual letter shapes but not (or only superficially) about the architectural context. At least, I haven't found anything.

If you manage to actually connect both on a sophisticated level that would be ground breaking and very impressive as far as I am concerned.

megmog

Yes Tim I think you're definitely right, what books and articles I have found are all about the letters themselves and not about the impact the type has on the building, bit frustrating!

russellm

Are you interested in failed attempts as well as successes? There is a building north of Toronto, (between Hwy 7 and Langstaff, visible from the 400) that has a huge and hideous "A". The space under the cross bar is the main entry. The narrow stroke is on the wrong side and it is just clumsy looking. I don't have a photo, If you like I'll snap one next time I drive past it.

R

megmog

Definitely. I think it would be really interesting to look at both good and bad examples and then try to work out why it is or isn't successful. That would be fabulous if you could take a photo, that's very nice of you!

Another thing that is quite interesting in terms of 'bad examples' is looking at buildings that have changed their use since the type was originally done. There's a department store in Reading that still has 'Heelas', its old name, embedded in the brick. It's an argument against using typography that is more integral to the building perhaps, although in a way it's quite interesting as it shows the building's history...

chrisostomost

Hi megmog,

I have just started my MPhil/PhD by project at the Department of Architecture of the Royal College of Arts and my topic is exactly the same as yours. I call it 'Typotecture: typographic elements applied to architectural design'.

I started carrying out research on it while I was doing my undergraduate studies in Greece (5 years ago). At that period, I tried to define typotecture, record and analyse its history with emphasis to contemporary examples (using many of the ones listed above) and evaluate it. At the RCA, my intention is to develop it further, especially in practice using current digital tools (scripting, 3d modeling, rapid prototyping).

In my opinion, one of the 'good examples' of typotecture - maybe the best - is the Marion Cultural Centre in Australia (last picture), where the boundaries between typography and architecture become blurred. It is one of the few cases where a visitor trying to read the name (semantics) of the building ends up reading the structure of it.

As you have already noticed, the information for this subject is limited and fragmentated, but this should be a reason for you to continue and not be frustrated!

Keep up the research!!!

I'll be in touch!

chrisostomost

megmog

Hi Chrisostomost,

It's great to find someone else looking at this too! And you're right, the Marion Cultural Centre really is a great example of 'typotecture'. I'm speaking to my dissertation tutor in couple of days so hopefully will have some more to work on after that. It would be great to hear some more from you on this if you have any more examples...

Thanks.

joeclark

I should have remembered this one: The abortion that is the University of Toronto Graduate Students(’) Residence at Harbord & Spadina.

From _Details in Contemporary Architecture_, Caltrans District 7 HQ by Gruen.

Joe Clark
http://joeclark.org/

Jennifer Bracy

The Seattle Public Library does a great job with "supergraphics" but my favorite element is the raised wooden floor. Visitors actually tread around upon inverted raised letterforms as is if they're on a ginat tray of movable type; it's really pretty cool. You'll have to look very closely at the image.

• 4 months later...
CaroPaynter

Im studying at the University of Canterbury in New Zealand and I was wondering if you had completed your dissertation yet as i am also researching the relationship between architecture and typography. I would be really interested in reading what you have completed, and in any other links that would be of use in regards to this topic, other than the ones through out the discussion above. I have been reading a book called "Forms of Inquiry- the architecture of critical graphic design' edited by Zak Kyes and Mark Owens which may also be of use to you.

alexislouise

I am a grad student at California College of the Arts and am just beginning my research on the same subject- I'll post anything new that I find as well!
so exciting!

• 1 month later...
Carien

I'm studying Architecture at the TU Delft in the Netherlands and currently working on the same subject for my graduation. I'm especially focussing on history and the use of the alphabet in the overall design of the building: I've found a lot on Italian futurism (Depero, Monza Book pavilion) but I am looking for more examples of for instance early functionalism. I will post my final report. I'm also really interested in your results. When you're finished already, can you post your final result? Good luck!

• 10 months later...
dinu
  • 1 year later...
Hboy

The landscape architects I work for were involved in a project for the Lowther Children's Centre with large scale lettering in timber. The architects were Patel Taylor who, I believe, specified the type. Looks like a nice for the little ones to run around.
http://www.plincke.com/projects/education/primary/lowther-childrens-centre/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46526683@N03/4271911628/

Reminds me also of the monolithic Arsenal letters at the Emirates Stadium at Ashburton Grove used as a meeting point and creates a sense of welcome.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/toxophilite/540204198/

The Hackney Empire extension is a great one as the block letters seem to float in the air in front of the south elevation as you view from Mare Street.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/albedo/152261787/

• 2 months later...
yusufcana

hi this is Jon. I'm a Graphic Design masters student at the Academy of Art in San Francisco. I'm doing my thesis on the same topic too. I'm concentrating more on typography. Thanks for sharing these images, and I'll share the interesting things that I find.

cerulean

Torres de Hercules.

It's striking, but I question the decision to make the motto read only horizontally, with the rows offset at random, so that all you can see on the vertical towers from any vantage point is gibberish. I would have used a one-step pattern like so:

NONPLUSULTRA
ONPLUSULTRAN
NPLUSULTRANO
PLUSULTRANON
LUSULTRANONP
USULTRANONPL
SULTRANONPLU
ULTRANONPLUS
LTRANONPLUSU
TRANONPLUSUL
RANONPLUSULT
ANONPLUSULTR