Education typography videos. Check out our YouTube channel …

Excellent but seldom used fonts

piccic

And: I’ll add Stilla to the list. I’ve only seen it used once.
Stilla is great, although you have to be skilled to use it well…
But I think it's one of those typefaces which do not benefit from an excessive exposure.

Jongseong

It may be just me, but I don't remember seeing Kepler used very much, or Alisal. This despite Robert Slimbach (Kepler) and Matthew Carter (Alisal) not being exactly unknown type designers.

adnix

i’ve yet to encounter Bodoni Egyptian in use

I just saw it used in the kid's section of the latest J. Crew catalog. I think it was the Roman or Thin weight, not sure as I don't have it in front of me. But I remember noticing the type as it was the first time I had seen it in commercial use.

David

Yehan

Wow..I gotta check out all these faces. To be honest..I'm quite sick of the same stuff being used over and over again...not that they're bad; but we could all use some variety once in awhile.

Just had the opportunity to set a book in Mendoza and I've absolutely fallen for it:D

jayar

Jay Rutherford
I used Mendoza along with Interstate Bold for a corporate identity project a few years ago. They go great together! I built a font package with Mendoza normal, Mendoza Italic, Interstate Bold in the bold position and Mendoza small caps in the bold italic position. The contrasts work well, and it's easy for the architects to use on their PCs.

I also used Clifford some years ago for a book – the documentation of a typography conference we held here in Weimar in 2001. It was never actually printed, rather the PDFs were burned onto a CD and sold that way. Clifford reads really quite well on screen, as well as being an excellent text face for print. I'll upload an image when I get to a computer where the drive works.

• 2 months later...
jupiterboy

Jay’s example reminded me of pairing Metron with Lucida Bright on a friends card. Printed on a Heidelberg Windmill. This was before Metron fell into a legal mess.

hrant

1) Well, not really hatred.
2) Nobody is ever alone.
3) Versatility does not exist in a vacuum; things you can't see are tugging on it. And integrity has a versatility all its own.

hhp