Join our community of friends of typography!

The "Double-O" Ligature

Glenn Kramer
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

Does anyone know of any logos or another clever use of the “double-O” ligature? The only well-known logo that I can think of is for Bloomingdale’s. Someone sent me the logo for a retirement home that makes use off two intersecting "o's" but I don't think it is a true ligature. I have attached both logos to this posting.

I would like to use the double-O ligature in the title of a publication, but feedback from someone said that overlapping O’s reminded her of unity, or gender symbols (male and female). While that's true, I wouldn't normally think of that when seeing it in text.

I think the double-o ligature looks classy in certain circumstances.

What are your thoughts?

Bloomingdales%20logo_0.jpg

James Arboghast

I don't know of any other logos that use a dubble O ligature. The Bloomingdale's logo isn't well known outside the United States, and I happen to dwell in Australia.

Someone sent me the logo for a retirement home that makes use off two intersecting “o’s” but I don’t think it is a true ligature.

Why not? What disqualifies the overlapping structure from being a ligature? I think what you're getting at is the departure from normal or accepted structure for a ligature. Saying it's "not a true ligature" is an exclusionist and conservative view. If that's true, then you should be able to define "true ligature".

And you know, the moment somebody defines "true ligature" I will be along to demolish all such notions.

I would like to use the double-O ligature in the title of a publication, but feedback from someone said that overlapping O’s reminded her of unity, or gender symbols (male and female). While that’s true, I wouldn’t normally think of that when seeing it in text.

Oh dear, one whole person says it reminds her of unity or gender symbols, so that's it man, it's no good ;^) I think your friend isn't seeing this in context, and as you know context counts for a lot.

I think the double-o ligature looks classy in certain circumstances.

So do I. What do you make of these dubble O ligatures I designed for my Pyke's Peake font?

j a m e s

nina

"Coop, a norwegian food chain used to have such a ligature in their old logo. Here’s the new one"

Frode, this is crazy, we have a supermarket chain in Switzerland that's also called Coop and has almost exactly the same (new, very ligatured) logo as yours. I wonder if they're connected somehow, or if they aren't, who stole whose logo? ;)

As per the "non-true ligature" attached to the first post, James, I don't think it is so much about the unusual placement of the second "O" than because it is quite visible that the second O was scaled down in size. FWIW, the differring weight makes it hard for me to see it as a ligature that was originally designed like this, as one glyph.

timd

This logo uses a moebius loop (infinity symbol) as a double o ligature, it is probably even more of a wedding symbol though. Esta has a double O ligature that I had wanted to use/develop for a logotype, however due to other considerations it didn’t work out.

I would accept your description of the Mary’s Woods one as not a true ligature, it doesn’t seem that the second O has had enough consideration of differences in weights through scaling and the triangle device appears to be included for consistency with the A but hanging out off centre (frankly I would doubt it is very user-friendly for the inhabitants). In my opinion for a ligature to be a true ligature it doesn't have to join or overlap but to be designed with consideration of the pair (or more) of characters and with consideration to possible surrounding characters.

Tim

timd

Selection of Coop logos
http://www.eurocoop.org/members/fr/member/default.asp

British readers may remember the four leaf clover logo
http://www.dhiverse.org.uk/_im/_logo-COOP.gif

Tim

EDIT: Not a chain but a community of local Co-operative Societies, originally set up to compete with mill and factory owner’s high priced shops run on a voluntary basis to bring economies of scale.

Nick Job

I believe the IOC uses a OOOOO ligature, as does the Greek national airline.

LOL. However, Olympic Airlines use a crazy OOOOOO (six!) ligature with lots of different colours. Never got to the bottom of why the colours are the way they are though.

Chris L, am I right in thinking Froggy has an oo lig?

EColeman

@ timd
As the one who sent the Mary's Woods logo, I can say that they've got a couple cleaner versions they also use. But they still use something similar that this one on at least one outdoor sign, and when I saw it (walking through a slush-filled night the day after Christmas) I thought there were three "o's"!

dan_reynolds

The Romans used to carve oo ligatures all the time. I'm sure that u have some examples in my Flickr stream, but I can't cut and paste links on an iPhone :(

Nick Job

There's definitely a logo with an infinity-type 'ligature' in it (two O's) which I think is set in Palatino. Someone please put me out of my misery! Think it's probably British.