The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

The "Double-O" Ligature

James Arboghast

@Frode: I think those look more like c+o, James.

To ensure that somebody would say that, I left them out of context. In context they function as OO units.

@Altaira: As per the “non-true ligature” attached to the first post, James, I don’t think it is so much about the unusual placement of the second “O” than because it is quite visible that the second O was scaled down in size.

Scaling down the second O in size is the best thing about it and to my way of designing using ratios and sizing for repeating letters is essential. It makes loads of sense to me, and so on, and such-like etcetera. I put lots of ratio and sized bowl elements into Pyke's Peak and have continued the theme and technique in Jabberwub.

Florian that's a great example of Caren's!

Great thread!

j a m e s

Glenn Kramer

Thank you to everyone who posted a response to my question! I really appreciate all the great examples that you've found.

When I mentioned in my original posting that I didn't think St. Mary's used a true double-o ligature, I'm talking about an actual ligature; i.e, one single character, or glyph in the typeface. I think St. Mary's logotype was created by using two distinct letter o's.

The Audi and Olympic symbols are excellent examples of O's that intersect, but these are not true ligatures either. They are wonderful examples of how circles were used to form a distinct logo.

I love all the examples. Thank you again for all the logos you've found, including the font families that were mentioned.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...
mjr

This is a furniture store in my town that has been using a double-O ligature since it was founded in 1917.

And here is one of the store's ads from sometime in 1928, I believe:
  • 3 months later...