The latest typography links delivered straight to your inbox.

Isn't this just modified Papyrus?...

SuperUltraFabulous
This topic was imported from the Typophile platform

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/bergsland/artichoke/

I saw this on myfonts, read the blurb at the bottom, and there's no reference to Chris Costello.

If you compare this Artichoke and Papyrus there are essentially the same face.

http://www.costelloart.com/papyrus.html
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/letraset/papyrus/familytree.html

Foul play?

Mikey :-|

pattyfab

Identical: no. A blatant rip-off: unquestionably. He does add an italic. But since the price is marked WAY down my guess is nobody's buying.

oprion

Derivative, but not identical. What I can't get, is why anyone would go through the trouble of creating something like that.

Kottis

Looking at that sample i notice that the «notches» on every letter seem to be in the same place…or am i wrong? The Artichoke sample is a little blurry, but it's pretty evident in the stem of «t». The «s» seems a dead giveaway too.

Ralf H.

What I can’t get, is why anyone would go through the trouble of creating something like that.

To make money, of course. Myfonts has many customers who are no professional designers. They can be fooled easily. And if you set the price low enoiugh, those fonts will sell.

Here is an overlay (with the change in weight removed):

I really wish MyFonts would check all new releases for rip-offs. There are enough experts out there, even among the MyFonts staff, who could spot these rip-offs easily.

dezcom

It looks like they just squooshed Papyrus about ten percent and overtightened the sidebearings, then chopped the ascenders a bit.. It looks like the guy figured 15 minutes of work might gain him a few bucks for a while.

ChrisL

pattyfab

Well at least he acknowledges he ripped someone off. This is the selling copy: The roots of this font are obvious, but it is a radical reworking into a full 650 glyph OpenType Pro font design with many changes made to make it more readable, and easier to use in a standard text setting.

Si_Daniels

>Huh? Yup, now it is a text face!

Have you ever read a spa flyer? The "waxing" list alone often runs to two pages. ;-)

>it is a radical reworking into a full 650 glyph OpenType Pro font design with many changes

Exactly! Brazilian support is a must.

charles_e

Let me tell you about the horrors of papyrus.

My wife liked it, so she started growing it in the small pond in front of the house. But it won't survive North Carolina winters outdoors, so we have to move it into the house during the winter months. It lives in water, so we have one of the few houses in a colder climate with year-long mosquitoes. Indoors. Also, when a stalk falls over, the cats like to chew on the leaves. Then they throw up.

Si_Daniels

>My wife liked it, so she started growing...

Maybe it was drying it and smoking it and then posting to typophile that was the bad idea? ;-)

acnapyx

For me the important question here is: should we judge Mr. Bergsland as harsh as the Gasoligne guys, for example? And should we bring in again the discussion about the originality of type designs?

Or maybe David himself would explain the similarities?

dezcom

I would not judge this person as harshly as Gasoligne. This person made no attempt to hide the copying. Also, everyone on earth already has Papyrus due to bundling so no profits were siphoned away. I would perhaps question the logic in bothering to do it and assume this person is not in possession of sufficient business sense to be able to see the futility of his actions. He may have built it but nobody is coming.

ChrisL

SuperUltraFabulous

Chris> No one professional at least, but I still think if you make even a dime off of stealing someone else's work the original designer should get a cut or all your profits.

Mikey :-)

Stephen Rapp

MyFonts is good on their word when something is brought to their attention. but beyond that I don't think there is much attention given to the checking the originality of designs. I suspect there are a lot of fonts on the site that are of questionable origins.

I was looking at a font of Lettering Delights a while back on MyFonts and so I followed the links to the LD site. Turns out there were several recognizable fonts there including P22 Dearest, T26 Lassigue D'mato, and my own Shoebop (with Veer). When I emailed the company the web person removed them and the "CEO" emailed me saying he would comply with my request to remove them and look into the matter with their font guy. I don't know who was making fonts for them, but at $3 retail they definitely aren't labored over.

Stephen