Jump to content
  • Spacing material | Definition and Translations

    Material to create spaces in letterpress printing. It is non-printing because its height is lower than the faces of the letters. Originally also called “lead”.


    Dutch: kastwit (letterwit)
    French: Blancs
    German: Ausschluss, Blindmaterial
    Italian: spazi
    Spanish: Espacios, material de blancos

    Related Term(s): Quads

    Ralf Herrmann By Ralf Herrmann ()
    Contributors: Manuel Sesma Gizzmo Juanjo Lopez Stéphane de Schrevel

    Terms linking to this term:

    User Feedback

    There are no comments to display.

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
    Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You can also check out our Privacy Policy